Some costumes have “weapons” as accoutrements. The following information is a summary of the Ad Astra convention weapons policy. Authorization by the Security Chief (AARC) is absolutely mandatory before any weapons may be carried!
Please note that certain exemptions to rules 3, 4, or 7 may be considered for the purpose of the costume contest. If you wish to submit a weapon or routine for special consideration, please consult with the weapons master and masquerade director prior to the masquerade registration deadline.
1. No live firearms. Removal of firing pin or bolt does not negate this rule!
2. No prohibited weapons (as defined by applicable Canadian laws).
Examples include (but are not limited to):
•Baku-Song (“Butterfly”) or Switchblade/Dropblade style knives.
•Nunchuks, Tonfas or similarly restricted Martial Arts weapons.
•Law Enforcement items such as Batons, Tasers or Mace.
3. No replicas of contemporary Firearms (that is, from the era of revolvers ie: U.S. Civil War forward to currently manufactured firearms).
4. All weapons must be holstered, sheathed or slung in the approved fashion.
5. Weapons will not be drawn or displayed outside of convention function space (except in the privacy of a hotel room) or in any public or crowded area.
6. Due and full consideration must be given to the physical safety and peace of mind of other persons at all times. This includes the general public and hotel staff, not just other convention attendees (translation: The archaic and juvenile practice of freaking the mundanes will not be tolerated in any form or fashion at any time!).
7. All weapons must be checked and authorized by the weapons masters. Upon approval, the weapon(s) will be bonded and your convention badge marked accordingly.
8. Any weapons which fail to meet the safety criteria of the weapons masters must be immediately (and discreetly) returned to storage (ie: your hotel room or vehicle) for the duration of the convention.
9. Convention AARC and ConCom members reserve the right to inspect weapons bonds and convention badge markings at any time. Any signs of tampering will be referred to the weapons master for confirmation of authenticity
10. Horseplay (of any kind, whether participants are consenting parties or not) with weapons will not be tolerated. All persons involved may be penalized depending upon the nature and severity of the offence. All complaints of behaviour of this nature will be dealt with immediately by Ad Astra.
Failure to adhere to any of the above rules will result in any or all of the following penalties being swiftly enforced.
- Immediate loss of the carrying privilege
- expulsion, without refund, from the Ad Astra convention (which may also result in your hotel room charges being raised from the special con rate to the higher, regularly applicable rate).
- Any act of gross negligence or public endangerment may result in criminal charges beyond the control of Ad Astra (please remember that the general public may have no idea that the convention is in progress and may react in the extreme if they feel threatened).
The decision of the Weapons master/ConCom are final and will be strictly enforced to ensure a safe environment for all convention attendees.